Thursday, October 20, 2016

Still helping with Hurricane Earl cleanup...

When we first moved to Belize, we would go to the market and buy a little bit here, and a little bit there.  Very quickly, we realized that one of the vendors was more friendly to us, and was giving us better prices, so we started shopping almost exclusively with her.  I soon realized that if Tom goes to the market without me or a detailed list, Gloria knows exactly what I want and makes sure Tom brings it home.  She also saves things she knows I like under the counter, and presents them to me with a twinkle in her eye when I stop in to shop. Needless to say, we've become friends over the years.

When Hurricane Earl hit our area in the beginning of August, the entire market flooded.  The river came up fast, and Gloria got her refrigerator out with a few small things, but didn't have time to get her display shelves out and they floated away.  She has been displaying her produce in wooden crates since then, but mentioned a few weeks ago that she really needed new shelves.  Tom, who loves a good project, offered to help build some for her.

Last Sunday afternoon Tom took the necessary lumber down to the market and built these display shelves for Gloria, with the help of Gloria and her partner Blad. Tom and Blad had fun, and Gloria got exactly what she wanted. And I can't wait for my next trip to the market to see them loaded with produce!
#lifeinbelize #belizetravel #hurricaneearl

Yup, it was dark by the time they finished.

Let the loading begin!


No comments: