Monday, March 7, 2011

Update on BMA experience

I returned to Belize Medical Associates a couple of weeks ago for my six-week checkup.  The doc said everything was fine, although my 10 pound weight limit was continued until the end of March, which didn't thrill me, but didn't surprise me either.  I'd been feeling pretty good, but was still a little uncomfortable and moving certain ways still hurt. 

Now, two weeks later (and almost 2 months post-surgery), I'm feeling almost back to normal.  I still feel it if I unintentionally exert myself - like if I try to shut Tinkerbell's door, which doesn't close straight, and has to be lifted and slammed at the same time - but I'm pretty good about remembering not to do things like that, and I think within a few weeks that won't hurt anymore.  I went swimming at Big Rock a few days ago, and my bikini covers the scar - so my vanity is happy!

And we have one more compliment for Belize Medical Associates, because we know they didn't make us pay "the gringo tax."  When I left the hospital after the surgery, we had paid their estimate, which we had received ahead of time.  After my appointment, we stopped by the hospital office to see if we owed them any more.  To our surprise, instead of asking us to write a check, they asked if we could wait a few minutes so they could cut a check for us!  We received $400BZ back from BMA because their estimate had been $400 high.  Needless to say, we were quite happy with that, and it was the icing on the cake for the whole BMA experience.

No comments: